- Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8) will be released next month in July.
- Mountain Lion will be available from the Mac App Store for $20
- You will be able to upgrade to Mountain Lion directly from Lion or Snow Leopard.
- ML brings OS X closer to iOS for a more consistent look and feel. (Unlike many people, from what I have seen I think the changes make OS X easier and better to use.) Major features of Mountain Lion
- ML brings more integration with iCloud.
- If your Mac is from mid-2007 or newer, it will probably run ML. ( details )
- If your Mac is capable of running ML and you are still running Leopard (OS X 10.5), you need to purchase a copy of Snow Lion first. ( Get it here ) Or, if you are a member of the soon-to-be-gone MobileMe, you can get a free copy of Snow Leopard by signing in to me.com.
The other big Mac news is the release of the new MacBook Pro with Retina Display "Retina Display" is the ultra high quality screen that are on the new iPad and the iPhone 4/4S.
Lion is already updated for the Retina Display but the other Mac apps (iPhoto, iMovie, Aperture, Final Cut, iTunes) are getting updates in Software Update this week. If you don't have one of the new MacBook Pros with Retina Display, you won't notice much different in these apps after you update although it does look they threw in a few bug fixes here and there.