If you have never set up an email account in Mail, you will be asked for your email address and password when you first open Mail. If you already have at least one account in Mail (iCloud for example), just do this:
- Go to Mail / Preferences from the Menu Bar.
- Go to the Accounts view.
- Click the + button at the bottom left.
- Enter your email address and password.
Once the account is set up, it will show an account type of either IMAP or POP.
- IMAP is the best account type. It syncs your email so that it is the same in every place. This means that besides getting your email in Mail, you can still get it in your browser as well as set up an account anywhere else like the iPad or iPhone. Gmail and Yahoo! Mail both are set up as IMAP accounts.
- POP works but isn't as good. A POP email account will download your messages to Mail and then you won't be able to see them in the web browser. With POP, you are best off only accessing your email through Mail or things are going to get confusing.
You can have as many email accounts set up in Mail as you would like, so it is a good option if you use several email addresses.
If for some reason you can't or don't want to set up your web browser based email in Mail, here are a couple of tips that can make your life easier: