To set this up requires adding a special email address to your Address Book Card, It is an email address that will be converted to an SMS message by your cell carrier. The first thing you need to do is find out what that special address is. This Wikipedia link lists many carriers around the world and their email to SMS addresses. If your cell carrier isn't listed, you might have to call their customer service or search around the web.
Once you have your email to SMS address, here are the steps to set things up:
- Go to Address Book.
- Locate your ME card. It is the card with your information on it and has the word ME in the bottom left corner of the image. If you can't locate your ME card, go to Card / Go to My Card from the Menu Bar.
- Go into Edit mode by clicking the Edit button under your card. You will now see a bunch of red "delete" circles and some green "add" circles to the left of your information.
- The first grouping of information is phone numbers. The second grouping is email addresses. In the second grouping, click the green "add" button. Choose type "other" and enter your email to SMS email address. (refer to the Wikipedia link above.)
- Click the Edit button under the card again to leave edit mode.
- Create a new event in iCal and fill in all the details such as name, location, dates and times.
- Where it says "alarm", click on None. This will give you a drop down menu of alarm options.
- Choose "Email". This will create another drop down menu of the email addresses on your ME card.
- Select your Email to SMS email address from the list.
- In the next drop down menu down you will set when you want the SMS text message sent. For example, you can set it to be sent 15 minutes before or three days before.
- Click Done to complete the creation of your event.
- Most cell carriers have add-on plans where you pay a flat fee for a certain number of text messages per month. If you don't have such a plan, you are charged by the message. Currently most US carriers are charging $0.25 to receive a message. That can add up very quickly. If you plan to use SMS alerts in iCal often, you might want to consider adding a text messaging plan.
- iCal doesn't need to be open for the event alarm to be sent, but your computer needs to be on and you need to be logged into your account.
- You can set multiple alarms for each event. If you wish can can set one alarm to send a text message to your phone and another alarm to appear on the computer screen. That way you are covered if you are at your computer or away from it.