You can watch or listen to podcasts in iTunes or you can download them to watch on your iPod, iPad or iPhone.
To explore Podcast content in the iTunes Store:
- Open iTunes.
- Choose "iTunes Store" from the left pane.
- Across the top if the iTunes Store page is a menu of content types. One these choices is Podcasts. If you click on the word Podcasts you will go to a page of the most popular podcasts of all types. If you hover over the word Podcasts, a downward arrow will appear. Click the downward arrow and you will see categories of podcasts. Choosing a category will target the results page to podcasts of that category.
- Browse the podcasts section and choose a podcast that interests you. (The right side of the iTunes window shows the top rated podcasts.)
- You will see a description of the podcast you have chosen and a list of recent episodes.
- At this point you have three options to receive the podcast content:
- Click the Subscribe button. If you subscribe to a podcast, new episodes are downloaded to your Mac as they are released.
- Click on the Free button of an episode. That single episode will download to your Mac.
- Hover over an episode. To the left of the episode title a Play button will appear. Click the Play button to listen to or watch that episode immediately in iTunes. This is a good choice is you want to get a feel for the content of a podcast before you subscribe.
Note: Though "iPod" and "podcast" are similar terms, they aren't necessarily related. You can listen to/watch podcasts on an iPod, but you can also listen to/watch podcasts in iTunes, the iPad and the iPhone.